Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Ghana D-26

As many of you already know, I will be volunteering at an orphanage in Ghana for a month starting May 14. The orphanage is located in a small village about 1h30 from Accra, about half way between Accra and the Akosombo Dam on Lake Volta. The orphanage welcomes children 0-17 years old, many of them HIV-positive or suffering from cerebral palsy. My primary responsibility at the orphanage will be to care for the babies and toddlers.
As I embark on this adventure, I will leave behind my Blackberry and Purell addictions and adapt to the African village lifestyle. There is no running water or electricity at the orphanage or at the house where I will be staying!!


I will do my best to update this blog during my stay in Ghana but depending on the internet situation, I might only be able to update it when I go into town once a week. You can sign up on the blog to receive an email everytime I post.

I am taking large bags with me in order to bring as many donations as possible. If you are interested in contributing, please refer to the list the orphanage sent me - below. If you have access to medical supplies, please see the Pharmaceuticals section.
I will buy some of the bulkier and heavier items in Ghana so you can also make a financial contribution if you wish.
I look forward to sharing my stories & pictures with all of you.
Thanks for your support!


SUGGESTED DONATIONS
Nutritional Supplements:
Powered milk
Parsley, carrot, basil & onion seeds
Honey

Pharmaceuticals:
Multi-vitamins
Vitamin C
Vitamin E
Vitamin B
Iron supplements – liquid iron drops
Zinc
Ibuprofen
De-wormer tablets
Anti-rash creams
Antibiotic ointment for wounds
Antibiotics in syrup form
Antibiotics for IV drips
Otoscopes
Amoxicillin
Trimoxazole
Zinacef

School supplies:
Books in English
Notebooks
Compasses
Science material (not requiring electricity, such as magnifying glasses, microscopes, PH tests, etc)
Calculators
Rulers
Pencil sharpeners
Science kits (light prisms, toy skeletons, etc)
Pens, crayons, colored pencils, markers, paints, paint brushes

Clothing:
Second hand or new clothes including underwear and pajamas (suitable for hot weather)
Shoes (casual & sports)


Supplies for extracurricular activities:
Sports equipment, balls (football, basketball, etc)
Games (educational board games)
Art supplies (pens, markers, paints, paint brushes, chalk, coloring books, etc)
Toys (suitable for ages 1-18)
Educational films (DVDs) in English

No comments: